Today officially marks one month until summer and I’m already dreaming about the endless tacos I’ll be eating in my t-shirt dresses, with sunglasses on, guacamole dripping down my face. Honestly, that will be me. It’s a bummer my favorite taco place in Chicago (Antique Taco) is located a little over an hour away via the train because their cauliflower, kale and shrimp tacos are #1 in my book. They might just be the reason why I’m hooked on Mexican food and can’t seem to go a week without thinking about meat, seafood or veggies wrapped in corn tortillas.
You can bet I’ll be making frequent taco trips this summer to explore the up and coming places in Chi city but until then, fresh tacos straight from my kitchen are the move. This past week my kitchen ended up delivering me a miracle in the form of these Thai mango chicken tacos and you betcha I just had to share them with you.
I don’t think I could have compiled more ingredients into these tortillas if I tried but I think six is the perfect amount anyways. They’re both savory and sweet which is always hard to accomplish with a taco. Every time I eat tacos I’m craving something sweet after but with these, I was content. The mangoes and salsa sweeten ’em up just the right amount.
Then there’s the jicama. This was my first time buying jicama and I am officially HOOKED. It’s such a good palate cleanser especially when you drown your tacos in hot sauce like moi.
The salsa – artisan-made straight from Denver, CO – is packed with ginger, garlic, lime juice and Thai chilis but don’t be fooled by the chilis, it’s not too spicy at all! When I first opened my February Hatchery box and spotted this salsa, I knew I’d put it to good use with tacos. I mean, duh!
No tacos are complete without sauce and the combination of the softened, juicy mango and thai salsa compliment the chicken and beans to a T.
I’ve been crushing hard on the Better Bean’s variety of ready-to-eat beans so much that I often find myself eating the beans out of the carton by the forkful. Each container is cooked with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, garlic and oregano to make them a bit thicker than your usual can of black beans. Needless to say, I’ve made them a weekly grocery staple.
- 2 corn tortillas (I prefer Trader Joe's brand)
- ½ cup Better Bean Cuban Black Beans
- 8 jicama pieces
- ½ cup frozen mango, thawed
- ½ cup shredded organic chicken
- ¾ cup mixed greens
- ¼ cup Yai's Thai Medium Salsa
- Begin by heating your black beans in a slightly greased pan on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Next, thaw your mango. I prefer microwaving it in a small dish for about 1-2 minutes.
- Wrap your tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1 minute. You can also heat them up on a pan for 30 seconds a side on low heat.
- Make your tacos by adding toppings. First add mixed greens, followed by your beans, chicken, jicama and mango. Divide all portions evenly between the two tortillas.
- Top generously with salsa!
- Eat, devour, enjoy and be merry 🙂
Now it’s time for me to take a bite into these, smothered in hot sauce and with a side of Beanitos black bean chips.
Don’t forget you can use my very own code “CHICKPEAINTHECITY” to get $10 off of your first Hatchery Tasting Box!
Happy Taco Thursday!