For the past few weeks, every Friday I’ve been sharing a few of my favorite photos of my favorite moments within the last seven days. So from the prior Saturday to Thursday and then I’ll share what the highlights were. I’ll be starting this in a series called “Chickpea Things: Vol 1” next week and an additional “Month in Review” where I can share my favorite photos from the past month.
I’ve been wanting to get back into journaling and being more reflective about my experiences. I want to have somewhere to document what I’m going through and the photos I’m taking that’s more permanent than Instagram, so alas, here we are.
October is hands down one of my favorite months and without a doubt, this one was for sure. I feel like it’s the beginning of the end of the year and so many fun opportunities come about in the fall. Also, hoodie and coat season is honestly my favorite. I’d rather be cold than experience Chicago’s 90% humidity so.. Let’s freaking go.
To start things off I’m just going to be sharing in general what my favorite things were this month from recipes to moments to songs to … everything in between. Enjoy. Xx
- Every year my favorite DJ, RL Grime, drops a mixtape on or before Halloween called Halloween and this year it came out on the morning of the 31st. It’s one of my favorite things!
- I made two new playlists this month: October 24th (named for my mom’s birthday) and Doing Ur Makeup (great for said activity or working out) — both worth a listen.
I’d say 90% of my skincare/beauty regime is all Beautycounter and I’ve been using a few things consistently lately that have been a game changer
- One-step makeup remover wipes — I use these when I travel, straight off the plane and right after I go out and come home. They’re super simple and get the job DONE. Oh and biodegradable!
- Color Define Brow Pencil — I was looking at photos the other day from 2017 back when I didn’t use a brow pencil and wow… can I just say a face of makeup looks 100x better when a brow is filled in? This is my go-to brow pencil through and through. I get the medium shade as I have darker brows. It is perfect.
- Overnight resurfacing peel — I use this 3-4x a week after I wash my face with a simple cleanser and follow it up with a moisturizer and oh my god, my face has never looked better in the morning. Think of it like getting a chemical peel out but for a fraction of the price. I wake up in the morning and my skin feels tighter and refreshed (and brighter honestly). P.s. no it does not actually “peel” your skin. Also it lasts forever so 100% worth the price.
- I got a chemical peel for the first time at Spa Derma here in Lincoln Park (Chicago) and it was honestly one of the best experiences I’ve had. I’m looking forward to continuing going there to help heal my hormonal acne through chemical peels, etc. Sweetest customer service, too.
Fall clothes are my absolute favorite and I went a little ham this year… I mean, how could you blame me? I’m such a fan of neutrals and all shades of brown, lighter pinks, oranges and yellows so.. This is my freaking season! Here’s what I’ve been sharing on Instagram lately and what I get asked most about.
- This MegaFleece from Outdoor Voices. Hi, hello, I love you. I have the Men’s one in both shades (Oatmeal and Navy) in a medium (a bit oversized but perfectly cozy!) and never want to take either one off. The women’s versions have hoods but I like the mens fit better. Makes for a great gift, too!
- The best tote bag I will ever own in my life. It fits my lunches when I’m on the go, water bottle, headphones, laptop case WITH laptop and my stash of Perfect Bars… of course. While yes it gets very heavy, it’s so durable and sleek. I want it in every color.
- Comfy hi-rise skinny jeans under $75… sold. Have been loving these lately! Very similar to Madewell’s denim but much cheaper.
- Favorite simple box-cut long-sleeve tee for fall. It’s super lightweight and great under jackets/a simple look.
- My absolute favorite boots/mules that are not only super comfortable to walk miles in (especially in the city) but they work for casual outfits OR going out looks.
- The best winter coat you will ever own. I got it on a 40% off sale a few weeks back which is rare for this coat (it’ll be back on sale during Black Friday I’m sure) but it is great quality, warm and so sleek.
My brother is a HUGE cook/baker and has inspired me lately to look up new recipes and create new things in the kitchen. In October I made a few baked goods and they were seriously un-REAL.
- I made these gluten-free chocolate chip cookies recently and shared on Instagram and they are the perfect amount of sweetness, have an incredible fluffy texture and don’t require a ton of ingredients. I added Ancient Nutrition’s multi-collagen (unflavored) to them for extra protein and I swear ya couldn’t taste a thing. Don’t forget to add sea salt on top, after!
- Broma Bakery is an absolute queen (such a sweet human IRL, too) and this Healthy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread was phenomenal two weeks ago. I added chocolate chips and used applesauce instead of coconut oil (more moist) and WOW.
- These Healthy Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes took me less than 15 minutes to bake on a Saturday morning and I was such a fan. Simple ingredients + anything with real canned pumpkin in it for me is a winner.
I’m looking forward to doing more in November so send me your recommendations, if any. 🙂
I’ve been trying to hit new (and old favorite) coffee shops/breakfast spots this past month and here are a few of my favorites (and what I order specifically).
- Half Sour – this is one of my favorite bars in the South Loop for their minimal menu and my favorite turkey BLT/sandwich in the South Loop. Also get the seasonal hummus (their carrot was my favorite) as it’s super thick and comes with the best little buttered crostinis. I came here with my boyfriend for the first time in May and it just makes me so happy everytime we come. It’s like a neighborhood spot that not a lot of people know of and is a good casual dinner. Oh and they have Topo Chicos, cold brew and Arize kombucha.
- Eleven City Diner – I love love love a good diner that’s super old school and classic and that’s how I feel about Eleven. Naturally, another find my boyfriend brought to my attention and now I can’t get over their bagels and cream cheese. I get the avocado bagel breakfast which is a multigrain bagel (but I get everything instead), avocado, microgreens, cherry tomatoes and I do a side of lox and chive cream cheese. It’s the best. They also serve Intelligentsia Coffee, have a huge menu of sandwiches, skillets, scrambles… I mean, anything you could want.
- Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea – This spot is hands down one of my favorites just because they have SO many options. You can get espresso from multiple different roasters, they have INCREDIBLE matcha (I love it with coconut milk or unsweetened cashew) and I love their space in the West Loop when I need to get work done after training with my trainer.
- Heritage Coffee – Favorite almond milk latte in the city and I love their interiors of every single shop they have, especially their River North/West Loop locations. That is all!
- Etta Restaurant – I came here at the end of the month with my friend Sarah, for the first time ever and it was a solid 7/10 brunch. Kind of reminds me of Ema, Beatrix, etc. A simple menu and not like the best food I’ve ever had but would be super fun with a group! And their cinnamon roll was actually one of the best I’ve ever had. I’ve heard great things about their dinner.
- Antique Taco – Honestly my favorite taco spot in the city for their branding, interior, the menu… I love it all. Their cauliflower elote shrimp tacos with sauteed kale are my favorite and I love their small picnic-style tables. Perfect for dates, margaritas and quick in/out service!
Those are a majority of my favorites from this month but other additional items that made me extremely happy in the last month…
- Spending the entire day of Halloween watching 10+ episodes of Catfish on the couch with Dustin.
- Planning a trip to Portland, Oregon (which I’ll be writing a quick guide on to come!)
- Getting free coffee unexpectedly at Stan’s Donuts (my go-to spot in the South Loop) from the sweetest cashier
- Walks through the Loop/South Loop, Grant Park, etc. while it’s still relatively cool outside
- Getting back to training with my old trainer and one of my best friends, Justice
- Wrote 24 things I’ve Learned from My Mom at 24 as a way to celebrate my mom on her birthday
- Started going to more yoga (have been loving my friend Sammy’s classes at Yoga Six in the South Loop) and took the best Taylor Swift themed spin ride at SoulCycle
I hope you guys had an equally exciting October and are looking forward to the month ahead. I’m going to Monteverde (an amazing Italian restaurant that I have yet to go to in Chicago), seeing one of my favorite bands from high school next week (The Maine), staying at The Thompson Hotel in Gold Coast for a 1-night staycation and my dad is visiting for Thanksgiving (which he’s never done!) so it’s going to be a good next few weeks.
Here’s to a lovely month ahead!