When you can’t decide between a smoothie or oatmeal, you put the two together. Right? At least that’s what I do and I strongly recommend it. The same goes for peanut butter and jelly. Okay, let’s face it… I never can decide what I want for breakfast so this morning I just threw it all together, threw everything in my cupboards on top and this beautiful disaster was created.
If you haven’t heard already, frozen grapes and peanut butter make for the best kind of smoothie on the planet. Add in a little frozen banana for creaminess, cacao or Vega Protein + Greens and a dash of almond milk to blend to result in a peanut butter and jelly in a bowl. After you throw on your pretty toppings for a photo, swirling your oats with your smoothie is the best part.
A few days ago, my Insta-friend Jess told me about freezing your overnight oats before eating them and today I was amazed with the results. Since I’ve frozen smoothie bowls and chia pudding before, I assumed this would have equally great results and Jess’ little tip exceeded my expectations.
Since I only have SO many toppings in my cupboards, it’s hard to keep a variety especially when taking photos. I always aim to include some sort of seed, granola and nut butter on/in my smoothie bowls every time I enjoy one for breakfast so I have energy to fuel my mornings. This bowl’s ingredients contain fiber, protein, healthy fats, greens (from the Vega Protein) and a lot of flavor.
For this recipe, you’ll want to prep your oats the night before (easy peezy) and the smoothie portion with toppings can take you less than 10 minutes to prep when you wake up. Whenever I’m in a hurry, I love throwing it all in a bowl, taking a photo of it and then spooning it into an old peanut butter jar to take with me on the train or wherever I’m headed. In fact, I posted one of these oat creations on my Snapchat the other day. There were no seats available on the train so I ended up awkwardly standing in the middle of the cart, eating oats out of a sunflower seed butter jar. I’m sure you can imagine the looks I received!
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp maca powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup frozen red seedless grapes
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (I love Trader Joe's brand chia seed peanut butter)
- ½ scoop Vega Protein + Greens chocolate flavor (or 3 tbsp raw cacao/unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ¼ almond milk (add more or less for your desired consistency)
- Small handful of ice cubes
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Love Grown Foods Power O's cereal
- Goji Berries
- For overnight oats: Combine oats, vanilla, chia seeds, maca and almond milk in a bowl, mix until well blended and sit in fridge for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- For smoothie bowl: In the morning, combine the rest of the ingredients together in a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) until thick.
- Spoon smoothie bowl next to your overnight oats.
- Top with hemp seeds, goji berries and Love Grown Foods' Power O's!
- Mix it all together and face plant 🙂
Instead of using granola this time around, I added in my necessary crunch factor with my favorite cereal, Love Grown Foods’ Power O’s. Yes, these modern day Cheerios are made primarily out of beans but I’m the Chickpea in the City after all so what do you expect? 🙂 The original flavor isn’t sweetened unlike it’s sisters strawberry, chocolate and honey but when you’ve got a PB&J going on, you need a little simplicity somewhere! They don’t taste like beans at all to me either but definitely do taste different than Cheerios!
P.s. Freezing your oats like I mentioned above is HIGHLY recommended but definitely not necessary! Do whatcha heart desires.
Happy Friday, chickpeas!
*I was graciously sent Love Grown Foods and Vega products, however, was not compensated for this post nor are my links affiliated. These are two brands I truly love and care for.*