I’m currently sitting on my couch in my apartment watching what else other than Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. As annoying as Guy Fieri might be, this show is my religion. It just so happens the restaurant that that’s on now is DMK Burger Bar, a burger joint right out of Chicago near Wrigley Field. They have a salmon burger with red curry mayo and a bison burger with fresh goat cheese and blueberry sauce. The struggle to stop myself from running out the door to grab one of these is real. However, my foot is wrapped in an ace bandage and I’m supposed to be “resting” this week so no long foodie treks for me. Crying emoji face insert here.
This resting I’m supposed to be doing is due to my recently sprained ankle. Two weeks ago in a yoga sculpt class I injured myself and didn’t realize until a few days later. I reeeallly did not notice it until this past weekend as I was working and on my feet for 14 hours (Saturday and Sunday combined). Not surprised an injury finally hit me seeing as I’m always on the move, walking to the subway and back every day combined with standing and walking on my feet for hours on end at my job and not to mention doing yoga/barre like a maniac.
Sunday night I got a cab home from work (which I never do) and knew it was time to do something about my foot. The beginning of this week I put my ClassPass and CorePower memberships on freeze and have been resting/will continue to for the next month! Probably one of the most difficult times but I know this will only make me stronger (so I hope) and give me much more time to work on my blog, read, work at my internship and find beauty in other activities.
Since I have all of this free time this week and I took a week off from work, I am dedicating a WHOLE lot of time to my baby… a.k.a this blog. I’m starting off with a new take on my usual What I’m Loving Lately mixed with a What I Ate Wednesday post. I normally only focus on food so when I focus on other things and incorporate food with them, it makes me feel like a new woman. There are times when I really wish my blog was dedicated more towards lifestyle than food but who knows, maybe one day it will be!
First, I’m starting off with the fashion I’m loving lately. I’ve had my eye on these brands for the past few weeks and every chance I get to online browse, I end up on these sites, scrolling through the recently added items contemplatively whether I should spend my paycheck on them. Quite tempting, let me tell you.
1. SPIRITUAL GANGSTER – I first came across this brand while checking out the apparel that CorePower had one day before class. When I found their ‘Om Shanti Shanti Om’ top, I bought it that day and every time after, I wanted another piece. So far, that top is the only one I have but they recently released summer pieces and I’m crushing hard on all of them.
This ‘Mini Om Summer Sweatshirt’ ($88) in black cherry is my favorite. With the brand name down the side arm and a cute little om by the breast, I could rock this to and from yoga 100%.
If you subscribe to their emailing list you get 10% off your first order so I’m thinking you should definitely check ’em out. Follow their blog for daily yoga inspiration and fashion trends!
2. SHOP PRIVATE PARTY – Pretty sure I stumbled upon Private Party two or three weeks ago but ever since I’m dying to get my hands on their ‘Avocado Toast’ tank ($52) or ‘Netflix Nachos and Naps’ crew neck sweatshirt ($79). I would gladly rock a tank or tee with my favorite food items on it because why not? I already have a shirt with the word KALE plastered across it. Why not add to the foodie fashion collection!?
Some of the messages and sayings on Private Party’s tops are a bit much but if you stick to the fun/simple ones, I think they’re downright awesome.
3. PYKNIC – A unique and edgy brand I spotted on Instagram recently thanks to one of my favorite vegan foodies and rockstar chef, Mary Mattern/NomYourself; Pyknic delivers foodie fashion in a spunky way. Their designs remind me a lot of Jac Vanek clothing I used to get in high school mixed with punk band t-shirts.
One of my foodie friends, Rachel, just told me about how comfy their tees are after I saw her wearing the ‘Ice Cream is Cheaper than Therapy’ tank. For only $29 a tank, they’re much more affordable than Private Party. I can’t wait for the first one that makes it into my shopping cart and onto my front step sometime very soon. I’m thinking about their new ‘Count Blessings Not Calories’ (also $29) tank because that is definitely a great statement to stand by!
Which ones are your favorites?! Hard to pick just one from each site… #thestruggleisreal
Now where would I be without a week of foodie favorites to rant off to you lovely followers of mine?! To match my favorite brands I’m into as of late, I need some good items to munch on while I online shop. Naturally.
1. YOGI TEA – Before I became yoga obsessed, I always had a little love affair for tea. Especially Yogi Tea. For those days when I’m not craving cold brew coffee, I try to listen to my body and go down the tea path. I keep a box of Yogi Tea in my cupboard at all times to fulfill these needs.
My favorite aspect of these teas is that they are organic and contain excellent soothing and healing ingredients such as ginger and dandelion root. They have different lines of teas from herbal, green and energy to cold weather season. I can tell you now the last time I had an awful cold at the beginning of spring, all I drank was Cold Season and Throat Comfort (with some ginger elixirs from Whole Foods on the side). While Cold Season packs a huge ginger flavor, the Throat Comfort’s hint of licorice root makes for an excellent after dinner naturally sweet tea.
This past weekend I purchased the Green Tea Pomegranate and have been drinking it both hot and iced. I just made a large pitcher of it iced today and I’ve been drinking it cup after cup. Fruity tea drinks are wonderful compliments to a summer day and green tea gives me an extra boost of antioxidants! Gotta love when you can get your health on while enjoying something fruity 🙂
2. SIGGI’S DAIRY 4% FAT WHOLE-MILK YOGURTS – Siggi’s will forever be my one dairy guilty pleasure and quite frankly, there is nothing guilty about them! For the past few years, America has been on that mindset that everything fat-free is SO much better for you. Fat-free milk, fat-free cheese, fat-free this and that and blah blah blah! Sure, I believed it too but within the past year and by reading tons of articles and from reliable sources, fat is GOOD and good for you! Did you know that apparently 2% and whole milk in moderation are better than skim? Granted I am a nut milk girl but for those of you who aren’t, go for the fat!
Without fat, we would not be able to thrive properly and while I don’t believe we should be consuming whole milk yogurt every day of our lives, moderation is key and especially when it comes in these cute little half cup containers!
Siggi’s recently sent me the largest package filled with more yogurts than I knew what to do with. Luckily, I have 4 roommates who helped me try them all out. My favorites were the Strawberry & Rhubarb and Fig & Lemon Zest. Unlike yogurts in the past, Siggi’s contains no artificial sweeteners or dairy injected with growth hormones. The taste speaks for itself! I put these on toast, in my overnight oats and they’re wonderful as small mid-day snacks.
3. KARYN’S RAW (CHICAGO, IL) VEGAN SOFT SERVE – If you live in Chicago and love vegan food… and raw vegan food at that.. you MUST hop off the North/Clybourne red line stop (or the Armitage brown line stop) and walk over to Karyn’s Raw Café! Started by Karyn Calabrese, a 30-year raw vegan and holistic health leader, her café serves only the freshest (organic when possible) meals focusing on plant-based ingredients.
I first heard of the restaurant last fall when I was working at another raw vegan storefront in the city, Chicago Raw. Their menu seemed mouthwatering to me at the time when I was focused on eating highly plant-based and close to vegan yet I never got around to visiting any of Karyn’s multiple locations at the time.
Finally, after seeing that Karyn’s Raw Café sold VEGAN SOFT SERVE (heart eyes) I wanted to walk over after work this past Saturday and treat myself. I’m glad I did because it was by far the best decision I’ve made food wise in quite a while. The café was dimly lit and right away I noticed vegan cakes and desserts behind a glass window that reminded me of Café Gratitude in Venice. I wanted to buy every single one but self control held me back (thank God)!
However, I did end up buying a small cup ($4) of “Karyn’s Skinny Cream” – a vanilla soft serve ice cream made with cashews, almond milk and agave. The man who served me told me (in his Australian accent… *swoon*) that flavors rotate weekly and sometimes they have strawberry, chocolate and mint. Pints were sold separately in the freezer behind me for $10 and I noticed a piña colada flavor!
The texture of the vanilla was so creamy and the right amount for snacking. The taste was so similar to that of a cone at Dairy Queen. I topped mine with graham cracker crumbs and coconut. Deeeee-licious!
That’s my round-up What I’m Loving Wednesday! Now that I’m on rest for a few weeks hopefully I’ll be able to blog quite a bit more than before. Especially going to Michigan next Tuesday and seeing The Fray on Wednesday! I am waaay too excited for that. Time is flying by!
Let me know what you’re loving lately whether it’s food, fashion or where you’re traveling next. I’d love to hear it!